45 kilometers of trails for both classic cross-country and skating
Open cross-country trails right now
To see all currently open tracks, click here.
Cross-country in the valley of Stöten in Sälen
In the valley of Stöten you can choose from various cross-country trails that include both classic style and skating. All tracks are six meters wide and start at Stöten Ranch, Skidtorget, Soltorget, and Kronoparken.
- 3 km Lysrundan - classic style (illuminated tracks until 11:00 pm)
- 4 km Pipsvängen - skate and classic style
- 5 km Träningsspåret - skate and classic style
- 7 km Slingersvansen - classic style
- 8.5 km Comborundan - skate and classic style
Click on the map to see a larger image.
Cross-country trails up on the mountain in Sälen
Stöten has two cross-country trails up in the tundra with fantastic views over the landscape. The trails are ready to use as soon as there’s enough snow for us to prep, but you usually get the best cross-country experience during late February and in the early sping. Don’t forget to look at the weather report and dress accordingly before you head out!
- 3 km Toppspåret - Start at the top of Vargy Express and enjoy 3 spectacular kilometers with an amazing 360-degree view over the mountains of Sälen as well as the Norwegian mountains across the border.
- 15 km Östra Granfjällsturen - Östra Granfjället is the highest peak of the Sälen mountains, reaching 948 metres above ground. From this point you get to enjoy a beautiful view over both the Swedish and the Norwegian landscape. You access the trail by taking the lift Vargy Express and then easily glide down about 1 km to the top of Mormors Störtlopp. The trail continues around Östra Granfjället, past Närfjällsstugan and along the scooter tracks back to Vargy Experss chairlift that takes safely you down to the valley.
WC Express takes you up and down safely
You can get up to the mountain trails with WC Express chairlift during our normal opening hours. The same lift takes you down again. WC Express is the only lift that allows cross-country skiers due to safety reasons. Contact one of our crew members to get more information and to get help getting on and off the lift safely. If you don't have a SkiPass you can purchase a disposable one-ride SkiPass in the reception. Please note that it is not allowed to walk uphill or ski down the slopes with cross-country equipment.
Before you head out
Do you need to wax your skis?
You'll find one waxing station at Stöten Ranch and three additional stations by Skidtorget.
Tips for beginners
If you are new to cross-country skiing we recommend you to try Träningsspåret (5 km marked with yellow) as a start. It's the easiest and best trail for practicing the basics. Lysrundan (3 km marked with green) is our shortest trail, but note that it contains parts of more challenging terrain, so we recommend this for the more experiences cross-country skiers.
Up on the tundra the weather can change really fast. Before you head out, make sure to look at the weather reports and lift reports on our homepage. Ask our staff for advice if you’re uncertain. Dress warmly and think about the wind's chilling effect. All activities in the mountains takes place at your own risk. Here you can see which cross-country trails are open right now.